Knock-knock jokes have been a staple of American humor since the late 1930s. Despite the eye rolls, the knock-knock jokes have most certainly stood the test of time. Bob Dunn is thought to be the creator of knock-knock jokes since the cartoonist penned the first book containing them. The book was a huge smash and Americans became obsessed with them in the late 30s.
Turns out, though, the knock-knock setup actually appears in William Shakespeare’s Macbeth, though not in the form of a joke. So, did the Bard invent knock-knock jokes? No one really knows for sure, but the knock-knock joke remains popular, especially among kids.
Knock-knock jokes for kids always get a giggle and the kiddos certainly enjoy telling them. Today, the best dad jokes and knock-knock jokes sometimes go hand in hand. Younger children will laugh and tweens and teens will groan. That’s essentially what makes kids’ knock-knock jokes so fun.
Kids’ knock-knock jokes
Looking for knock-knock jokes to make the kids laugh or as an icebreaker? Here are the top 10 knock-knock jokes for kids that are guaranteed to tickle the funny bone.
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Orange. Orange who? Orange you going to let me in?
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Needle. Needle who? Needle little help right now!
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Owls. Owls who? Yeah, they do!
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? At. At who? Bless you!
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Tank. Tank who? You’re welcome!
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Alpaca. Alpaca who? Alpaca the suitcase if you packa the car.
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Toucan. Toucan who? Toucan play at that game.
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Snow. Snow who? Snow use. The joke is over.
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Dozen. Dozen who? Dozen anybody want to let me in?
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Kanga. Kanga who? Actually, it’s kangaroo!
Knock-knock jokes for kids
Kids’ knock-knock jokes come in all different forms. There are the classic ones like orange you going to let me in? Then, there are knock-knock jokes with food as the subject. Knock, Knock! Who’s there? Turnip. Turnip who? Turnip the volume! Or, knock, knock! Who’s there? Lettuce? Lettuce who? Lettuce in! It’s cold outside!
Name knock-knock jokes can also really get the kids giggling, especially if you can come up with a knock-knock joke with theirs. If that’s not your strong suit, then here are popular name knock-knock jokes for kids.
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Wayne. Wayne who? Wayne drops keep falling on my head.
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Alex. Alex who? Alex-plain later.
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Abby. Abby who? Abby birthday!
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Avery. Avery who? Avery time I come to your house we go through this.
- Knock, knock! Who’s there? Joe. Joe who? Only joking!
You know what comes next. Knock-knock jokes may be corny, but that’s probably why the format has endured. Knock-knock jokes are familiar and fun. At the very least, the pun-based jokes elicit a smile, and who doesn’t need that? Have fun with these classic knock-knock jokes for kids or try to create your own. Making up knock-knock jokes can be a hysterical way to pass the miles on your next family road trip.
Knock, knock! Who’s there? Nana. Nana who? Nana your business!
- A simple guide for talking with your grade schooler about LGBTQ+ identity
- Stellar picture books about LGBTQ+ history to help educate your kids
- Kids of all ages can make these easy and delicious meals for Mom on Mother’s Day
- Bring imagination back into your kid’s playroom with these ingenious DIY ideas
- Thinking about homeschooling your child? Here’s why it’s a bad idea